A Tombstone campground can help provide you a trip that’s easy on your budget. Is the car-camping lifestyle your choice for vacation journeys? Or even just weekend stay-cation outings?
You may even feel like you’re living the life of the rugged old West cowboys, cowgirls and pioneers! Well maybe not quite – as you can access many modern conveniences, even though you’re sleeping in a tent!
By the way – do you ever get to the campsite, and realize you forgot something essential? Aaah – that is a pain!! We have a free, super-great checklist you can use, before you set out. Get it – just Click Here!
We used to go tenting, but then upgraded to a Recreational Vehicle. But we remember what we liked in a campground when we had a tent. So that’s what we keep in mind in our recommendations here.
Of course, everyone has their own tolerance for the “roughing it” level of the Tombstone area campground they’d like to stay in. Particularly when they plan on visiting restaurants, museums, shows, or having a night out – maybe going Out for Karaoke!
There are quite a few places in Tombstone camping spots to Roll Up a Deluxe RV. But where’s a Tombstone campground that will allow you, or has spaces for pitching a tent? Or maybe being off the grid, with your basic Teardrop camper. (That’s actually our most recent “RV” type of style we’re into!) Well – we’ll show you. Just choose (click) your area, and/or camping style:
Tombstone Campground Picks
Walking Distance to Town
Wells Fargo RV Park – 215 East Fremont Street (State Hwy. 80), 1-800-269-8266
- Grassy tent sites with water, electric & shady trees
- Heated rest rooms with showers
- Roomy laundry room
- Camp store with many necessities
- Free WiFi
- Call or email [email protected] for rates & reservation inquiries
- A best Tombstone campground choice for in town – we think, if you’re tenting
Stampede RV Park – 201 W Allen Street, Toll Free (866) 409-4778
- Tombstone campground tenting site area is available – but there are no utility hook-ups
- Rate is $19.27/day plus tax
- Available amenities are a rest room & showers, plus a laundry
- A small breakfast restaurant is on site (Open When??)
Tombstone Dry Camping RV Park – 365 South 3rd Street
- Directions: Go south on 3rd St., cross over Toughnut, then down the hill past the Tombstone Historic Courthouse. You’ll see the entrance off to the left.
- Dry camping, no facilities – nearest public restrooms are at the City Park, corner of Allen & 3rd, one and one-half blocks North
- Car camping rate: $3 for 24 hours
- Open lot with cones marking spaces. Drop box for payment.
- More information? Email them at: [email protected]
Tombstone Area Campgrounds
Short Drive Into Town
Tombstone RV Park & Campground – 1475 Highway 80, milepost 315.5, just inside the city limits
- (520) 457-3829; [email protected]
- Tent sites have picnic tables, grills & fire-rings – no utilities
- Free WiFi, rest-rooms & showers
- Heated pool, playground, rec hall
- Camping store, ice, propane
- Shuttle into downtown Tombstone
- Rate is $25/night
- A really nice choice, all around for tenting
Tombstone Livery Stable – 919 West Highway 82, (520) 457-3559
- This Tombstone campground only has dry camping. Rates available when calling Cowboy Doug, plus get more details – or you can email: [email protected]
- It’s a unique place – kinda like a dude ranch, so there’s lots of activities going on – particularly when there’s planned events. But also: horseback riding and a shooting range.
- They’re fairly close to town – about 2 miles north of Tombstone
Camping Out East of Tombstone
Double Adobe Campground & Shotgun Sports – 5057 W. Double Adobe Road, McNeal, AZ. (800) 694-4242
- Tent camping here on a no-hook-up grassy area
- Rates: $16 night for 2
- Access to Wifi, laundry, showers, propane available. Plus game room, DVD borrow, book exchange.
- If it’s your thing: sporting clays, trap shooting & skeet shooting available nearby
- 33 miles to Tombstone, about a 40 minute drive
- If you need further details call, or email: doublead[email protected]
About 20 Miles Northwest of Tombstone
Red Barn Campground – 711 North Madison Avenue, (520) 586-2035 – Benson Exit 304 Off Interstate 10.
- They have a tenting area – some are called primitive sites
- Discount rates for Passport America & Good Sam
- Playgrounds, free WiFi
- Call for more details
Benson KOA – 180 West Four Feathers Lane, (520) 586-3977 – Benson Exit 304 Off Interstate 10.
- 2 types of tenting sites available: no utilities, or with electric
- Picnic table & fire pit, water spout accessible
- Rest-rooms, showers, laundry
- Free WiFi; pool open Spring, Summer, Autumn
- Access to the free camping kitchen with electricity plug-ins & utility sink for dish washing
- Sports field, mini-golf, horse-shoes, playground & more
- Base rate for dry camping is about $29 per night – but call to confirm
Roughing It Car Camping
Are you an experienced camper, who knows how to handle yourself in desert environs? This type of camping may be for you. A campground choice not really close to Tombstone, but definitely in driving distance for a nice day there. Be sure to read all the information. You’ll need to be informed regarding what to bring with you, what facilities are there (or lack of!), ease of access, etc.
Dragoon Mountains Camping
As long as the roads are dry, access by regular car is fine. If there are heavy monsoons, use caution – probably even don’t go! These sites are free of charge to stay up to 14 days. There are no facilities, no reliable water sources. Bring everything you need, be sure to clean up & take out all with you.
Several Sites along Forest Road 4804 Loop, off of Forest Road 687. The sites have shade and sun. They’re not jammed together, either. Be aware that one area is where rock climbers tend to be.
From Middlemarch Road (one mile north of Tombstone), and follow it for approximately 10 miles to a “Y” at the Coronado National Forest boundary. At the Forest boundary, turn left onto FR 687.
Pass by 4806, Tenneco Rd, on the Right. Pass over Smith Wash. You’ll arrive at the Loop Road Sites available off 687. There’s 4827: Lisa. And there’s 4804: Flathead, which includes 4804-A & 4804-AA.